Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Reality TV (Sort of)

            I have become obsessed with reality television.  Now before you pick up your large rocks and prepare to hurl them in my general direction, hear me out.  You see, I am not just obsessed with every show that is supposedly unscripted.  No, that would just be stupid.  I am obsessed with reality cooking shows. 
            Be they competitions or one of the roughly 8324 Gordon Ramsey vehicles currently on the air, I cannot get enough of watching real people with huge egos fuck up constantly.
            Between Hell's Kitchen, Master Chef, Chopped and The Taste, I devoured roughly 10 seasons of these reality TV in the last 30 days.  Seriously, I forgot what the outside looked like for an entire weekend at one point.  Throw in Hotel Hell, Kitchen Nightmares, and ManVs. Food  and I may never want to go outside again.
            But why???

            I honestly have no idea.  I believe that part of it is the aforementioned egos, most especially in the competition shows.  I fucking hate big egos.  But how do you judge if someone on Survivor should go or not?  Certainly it's not talent.  You don't have to be talented to be on that show, you just have to try not to be an idiot.  On cooking competitions, people who have legitimate talent within their field have been chosen to compete.  That's what separates these cooking competitions apart: they have at least a decent amount of demonstrable talent.  (This is probably why I also enjoy watching the ScyFy show Face/Off.)
            In all these cooking competitions, we start off with 12+ aspiring chefs who have to make it through the preliminaries based on their talents alone (ok, we all know that's bullshit, producers also like people who will help garner ratings. But still, they have some talent).  Then they're thrown together and encouraged to talk shit and talk themselves up.  You can tell some of them aren't very fond of it while others can't get enough of themselves.  Oh, those are the ones that I love to see fail.  I gain such an immense amount of schadenfreude from their failures.  The larger the mouth, the happier I am to see them go.
            But it's not just that.  It's because of the cooking.  Cooking is something anyone can do decently with some practice.  I've honestly never met someone who just could not cook.  I truly believe those people do not exist.  Cooking, to me, is like driving.  Anyone can do it, not everyone can do it well.  That's the other thing that sets these shows apart.  For Face/Off you need some serious talent to hone.  The same goes for singing competitions; not everyone can sing.  With the cooking competitions, I'm suddenly watching a show that I could be a part of if I was motivated.
            The same goes for the reality entertainment shows like Kitchen Nightmares.  Here are people doing something I could legitimately see myself or a friend doing.  Not that I want to own a kitchen, but it's something that could be learned through work and schooling.  I can't just magically become a teen mom or a Jersey douchebag.  I can't magically become a sports super-star.  But I could totally be a floundering businessman with a failing dream and a lack of motivation.
            There it is.  That's why getting Hulu is possibly one of the worst things I've ever done from a work ethic standpoint.  I still haven't mounted my TV on the wall because I'm too busy watching episode after episode, season after season of people who I could actually aspire to be running around a kitchen and getting yelled at by their betters.


            Also, that's why there's no movie review today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment