Sunday, April 29, 2012

Misleading Trailers


            While I was sitting at the Atlanta Airport last weekend, waiting for my final flight into PA, I happened to notice a stunningly gorgeous woman sitting across from me.  Now, I’m not one to poke my buddy in the ribs and point out every woman that walks by, so don’t take this lightly:  I really thought this young lady was a misplaced runway model, minus the too-skinny frame and terrible outfit. 
            Then I saw her pick up a book!  Look at this, I thought, a woman who can surely make a living off her appearance, doing something completely against the stereotype I’d already placed her in!  I wonder, what she could be reading?  While my brain just repeated ‘please be sci-fi, please be sci-fi, please be sci-fi,’ I craned my head to get a look at the title.
            Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
           
            That little, tiny detail within the big picture convinced my judgmental mind that there was no way I would want to have a conversation with her.  Fairly or unfairly, I saw a beautiful young lady reading and got my hopes up, but the more details I took in, such as the book and her weird look of disdain when an elderly old woman sat next to her, convinced me that I had made unfair assumptions.

            You know what else we make unfair assumptions about?  Movies based on their trailers!

            Just like a runway model, trailers are made to make the viewer think one thing in particular about a movie no matter what the truth really is.  Yes, it’s kind of a dick move on Hollywood’s part for packaging a film as A when in truth it’s actually B, but it’s not really the trailer guy’s fault.  It’s the executive’s fault for commissioning a movie, deciding it won’t sell well because it’s either not what they wanted or just a terrible film, then forcing some poor shmuck to package it as a good movie.
            Yes, I’m probably being little unfair to some misleading movies, but the only misleading film I have seen and liked is Adventureland.  That one was sold as a coming-of-age comedy but turned out to be very much a drama.  The entire film contained maybe four or five laughs, and I think the trailer alluded to all of them.  It’s also the only movie to date in which I actually like Kristen Stewart’s acting.
            Horrors are especially guilty of misleading packaging because of how easy it is to cut the trailer.  Simply link together all the ‘jumps’ and ‘scares,’ allude to the plot, throw in buzzwords like spine tingling or chilling and call it a day.  The Haunting in Connecticut, The Last Exorcism, and An AmericanHaunting are all recent examples of the decent trailer/terrible movie dichotomy.  (Although in The Last Exorcism’s defense, if you turn it off before the last 5 minutes, it’s actually a good film.  The ending ruins it that much.)

            I know there’s not much we can do as moviegoers other than to speak with our wallets, so I highly encourage everyone to adopt a method I’ve recently begun using for my non-reviewed films.  Check a few review sites before you hit up a movie and see if anyone is talking about the movie not being what they expected.  If you hear a decent amount of chatter from everyday theater-goers complaining about the ol’ bait-and-switch, don’t go see the movie.  Wait to give it a rental.
If enough of us adopt that practice, the truly bad movies and the ones that are advertised improperly will eventually lose enough money to convince Hollywood to do two things:  Stop making such terrible films that they have no choice but to cut a B.S. trailer and have some faith in the good films by advertising them as exactly what they are.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have 9 hours of airport time in my immediate future.  Thanks, Harrisburg International for providing the free wifi I needed to finish this article!

No comments:

Post a Comment